At ECF 2017 Jean led a workshop applying the Writing the Unthinkable creative technique.
Writing the Unthinkable is a fun, easy and interesting technique for writing stories. Great for personal creativity and also for getting interesting, authentic and unexpected stories out of your organisation or community. I learned it from the writer, cartoonist, teacher and SuperGenius Lynda Barry.
I’ve created a handout so you can do the Writing the Unthinkable exercise at home or at work. It’s a little booklet that you can fold – so print it double-sided on a single A4 page and then fold it down to A6 with the poem on the inside.
A few links relating to Lynda Barry and her work:
- Lynda Barry’s book all about the writing technique is called What It Is and is widely available. Currently £12.99 at hive.co.uk
- There’s a video of her on Lynda.com talking about creativity & learning:
- Some videos where she walks you through the writing exercises on YouTube:
- Also worth getting are her books Picture This and Syllabus, which are also about creative techniques, and 100 Demons is a great intro to her fiction
- Lynda currently teaches comic classes at the University of Madison-Wisconsin and publishes on Tumblr about the class, it is SO interesting: http://thenearsightedmonkey.tumblr.com
- Her author page at Drawn & Quarterly.